The final session at our Data, privacy & security in the workplace: key issues in 2023 event saw Ali Vaziri and Linda Hynes discuss the thorny issue of the insider threat. This threat is one faced by all organisations, and recognised as one of the hardest to protect against. So what can we do about it?
Our top five takeaways are:
- Research shows that 50% of organisations have suffered an insider attack – and those are just the ones organisations are aware of.
- The threat from insiders comes from the fact that they know where the crown jewels are, and can bypass many of the controls in place given their authorised access.
- Technology is only half the answer: understanding behavioural precursors is key to facing down the threat.
- Risk is heightened when an employee leaves the organisation, especially when going to work for a competitor.
- Develop an insider threat programme to bring together all your teams and tools (including those in your employment and privacy toolkits) needed to address this specific threat.
If you have any questions about insider threats and how to prepare for and respond to incidents, or would like training on this topic please contact Ali Vaziri, Linda Hynes or your usual Lewis Silkin contact.